Becoming an Pomsky Breeder can be a lot of fun, but it can also be a lot of work. You will need to invest some money to become a breeder. Being a breeder is like owning your own small business, it requires you to understand simple accounting and good breeding practices.
This is probably more of resource for fellow or future breeders than for the average Pomsky lover. We will try to outline here what you will need to do, in order to become a breeder. We caution people who are new to dog breeding. This is not the best breed of dog for the novice canine breeder. This is because of the process it currently takes to make a Pomsky. You actually have to go to a lab or a qualified vet to get a Pomeranian or a Husky artificially inseminated. This is also one of the reasons Pomskies are so expensive at the moment.
We also warn against people who are trying to breed Pomskies for easy money. It’s not easy! You are going to get burned and burned fast if you think breeding an animal for profit is easy. First, you need to invest in some education on how to become a breeder. You also need to learn all of the rules and regulations in your state and local community. Just to get started you may end up spending thousands of dollars on healthy pure bred dogs. You only have a small window of opportunity to get your dog pregnant. It costs hundreds of dollars to get a Husky or Pomeranian artificially inseminated. After the puppies are born you are going to have to feed them and pay for their medical shots and other bills. You might end up with a small litter or litter of puppies that don’t have the Pomsky characteristics. So you may not be able to make money until you have tried a few times and you have had the right experience.
This is an official list of stuff YOU MUST DO in order to become a breeder.
- Research – You are going to need to become experts in both Huskies and Pomerinans. This will require you to read books, visit informative websites and understand the proper care of dogs both small and large. After learning about these breeds you will need to know all the charateritcs that make a Pomsky. You will also have to do your research into all the laws and regulations for breeders in your area.
- Buy The Dogs – The next thing you will need to do is buy a Pomerianum and a Husky. You will have to make sure they are healthy and will be sexually able to reproduce. You may need to buy two or three of each to make sure you have a large enough gene pool to choose from. This can get expensive quite fast. It is recommended to buy from premium breeders so that you know you are getting the best possible dog. You will also have to feed and care for your new dogs.
- Find A Vet – Vets are really easy to find, however, finding a vet that specializes in artificial insemination can be really expensive. Make sure you do your due diligence before settling with your vet of choice.
- Understand and Abide by the Code of Ethics – being a breeder requires you to abide by all of the code of ethics. If you are found not abiding by them, you cannot be an official breeder.
- Contact Us – once you have your official litter of puppies, contact us to be featured as one of our official Pomsky breeders!